Sunday, June 26, 2011

Sizzix, CorelDraw and Make It Crafty

I've been playing around with a new Sizzix die that I just received.  It's called "Card, Scallop Circle 3-D (Pop-Up) and it creates an insert into your card that you add embellishments to.  Lazy is my middle name so when I discovered I could cut this, crease it, add it to my card and then build on it, I was ecstatic.  Then, I wondered how to get a really good background behind my pop-ups without adding lots of paper which would make the card bulky.  It occurred to me that I could attach the cut-out to card stock, run it through my printer and have part of the image print on the cut-out.  And it worked.  I used an 8.5" x 11" piece of card stock (mine was white) and scored it, but did not crease it.  I used my die to cut out the pop-up piece and without creasing it, positioned it in the center of my card stock using the scored line on the card stock and the scored line on the pop-up to line up the two pieces and adhered it.  My printer loads from the back and prints on the top of the card stock, so I inserted the card stock into my printer with the smaller pop-up piece facing up and going into the printer first.
The first picture is from CorelDraw.  I opened a new file and made the image 10" tall by 7" wide.  I imported my Make It Crafty beach scene and made sure it only occupied the top five inches on my paper.
After printing, I scored my two pieces, folded and then cut my 8.5" x 11" card stock down to 5" x 7" being sure to take 3/4" off of each side and 1/2" off the top and bottom to keep my image in the middle.  I can now leave this black and white and build color on top or I can color the background.  I will be showing more cards using this technique in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment