Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Kitchen remodel update...

The first actual work day of our remodel was April 6th.  Our contractor did some electrical and disconnected and removed the stove and dishwasher.  Cabinet refacing started April 11th and was finished on the 13th.  The template for the countertop was created on April 14th and the countertop installed on the 21st.  The first coat of blue paint went up on Friday.  There is still lots to do: electrical, painting, trim, new door, island, backsplash and ceramic tile floor.  But, I do see the end of the tunnel and it's much easier to envision the end now that some color has been added.  I will be sharing pictures at the finish; it will be much easier to do it all at once and I'm keeping a diary so I don't miss anything.  What we've learned so far:  there are always more things to purchase than you thought (we changed our kitchen hardware to brushed nickel, we bought hardware for our new door in brushed nickel.  We did not think about our pantry door hardware and hinges which are brass - back to the hardware store.)  This change led us to think about our beautiful new front door that will be installed with beautiful brushed nickel hardware when the kitchen is finished - closet door: brass hardware.  I thought I had done a credible job rounding up all the parts and pieces we would need, but we've made three extra trips to the Big Box store for parts and pieces we did not think about.  I ordered some beautiful plates to cover our electrical boxes and switches with.  But did not consider that the actual plugs and switches were ivory (not to mention old, dingy and not holding plugs well anymore) and the new plates were white - another trip to the hardware store.

11 comments:

  1. It will all look beautiful when its finished and you will be wanting to spend all day in your posh kitchen, Thank you for the fab age sentiments, your a star.
    Kevin xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so looking forward to seeing the pictures of your finished kitchen. It's funny how the little details are the ones that get overlooked more easily when you're working on a project. I haven't checked in on your blog for quite awhile, because I've been very ill. I didn't want you to think I'd forgotten you. :) Thank you for more of your awesome numbers. The sweet sixteen is extra special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful #'s...Can't wait to use the "Sweet 16" on a card for my granddaughter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for the digi images, These are perfect for the cards for my grandchildren. hugs Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for these images. It sounds like your kithcen is going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank You and I appreciate you doing 2 of the #16. These are Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i used the sweet sixteen sentiment on a card -- which is part of a set for a sweet sixteen party.. you can see it here...
    -anne-

    ReplyDelete