Saturday, January 30, 2010

Love is in the air

Do you have a song or a fragrance that brings back a memory for you? I can go back in time by listening to any number of songs and tell you just what I was doing when it was popular. I was dating a guy who was cheating on me when "Hanky Panky" by Tommy James and the Shondells came out. I was in the Marine Corps when the Boxtops were singing "The Letter". And James Taylor was singing "Fire and Rain" when I got the phone call that my step-father died during heart surgery. There are many more songs that are attached to memories but those three evoke the strongest feelings. Hanky Panky still makes me mad and it was more than 40 years ago. The Letter makes me homesick. And I can't listen to Fire and Rain without a huge lump in my throat. Music has played a big role in my life. I fluctuate between 60's rock and country and 40's music. My husband and I are very diverse in our tastes, we have classical, celtic, 40's, 50's (does anyone remember Jimmie Rodgers and "Kisses Sweeter Than Wine"?), 60's (The Turtles, The Kinks, the Rolling Stones), showtunes, bluegrass, and soundtracks (A Knight's Tale and Dirty Dancing come to mind).

So, as I listen to Black Sabbath's Iron Man, I'm working on my Valentine's Day cards. I already have my husband's done so I'm just working on cards both for sale and for sending. I have an obsession with brown and black. It's my favorite color combination and I use it often.



The stamp is Magnolia Baseball Cap, the sentiment is Stampin' Up. The diecuts are Spellbinders; the sentiment diecut was distressed with Tim Holz Antique Linen, the Droplets are Kaiser. The paper is another piece of that unknown evergrowing pile of paper that occupies every surface in my craft room. Spicas were clear, chocolate and black. Copics: R02, E00, E25, E35, T8, E31, W3, E37, W5, YR21, YR14, E51.

29 comments:

  1. WOW!!!! I love it, never would have thought about using those colors for Valentines, but I sure will now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen lots of really cute cards done with sheet music and I love the way it looks. Your card is no exception! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Love your creations! Thank you for the nice compliment you left on my blog. Here is the link to the lesson on making the roses. I was surprised how easy they were to make.
    http://mycreativescrapbook.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=1743&st=0
    I hope that worked. If not you can email and I will send the link that way. Just be sure you put rose lesson in the topic.
    Have a blessed day
    Moshie gmamoshie@pmt.org

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful! I love the colour scheme!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just a super card, love it. Cheers, Lora Sinkler-Lake

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great card,great colors.love the music paper

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute, Cindy! Love your choice of paper Edwin is just adorable. I remember all that music too, we must be close in age. Do you remember American Bandstand and Justin and Justine? Have a great day...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't he a cutie! You've done a beautiful job on your card! hugs, Angela Wood

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderfully masculine card. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sweet & perfectly masculine! Love the bg papers with this cutie!

    hugz,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great guy's card! You have done a excellant job and I love how you have colored Edwin!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great card. Wonderful color combination for a guy and this little guy is super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cindy, wonderful card. Love your colour scheme. Cute Edwin beautifully coloured. I like the musical-note DP. Terrific guy card. Love it.

    Hugs.
    Norma

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your card is such a great guy's card.
    There is several songs that bring up old
    memories, one my frist love called I
    think because it has been such a
    long time ago lol
    It's all in the game With Tommy Edwards ?
    That dates me I think
    Linda W.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super sweet card and perfect for a boy! Love all the browns!! Great job! hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've loved all of your comments - especially the ones that take you back in time. "It's all in the Game" was a great song, one of those great serenade songs from the 50's. I had it on a 45 (and that dates me).

    ReplyDelete
  17. ohh I just love the whole vintage feel to this adorable card. Soo love the pattern paper!!!

    Hugs
    Nancy T.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an awesome card!! I LOVE the colors! now I have that song in my head..."..love is in the airrrrrrr......" LOL

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great card I love the color combo !

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very nice. I really like that color combo. i will have to try it! Great card!
    Pam Brown

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are right about the music bringing back memories. Love how you used the papers on your card and especially the colors you've done for Edwin!!! Adorable card!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the different colours you have used on your card!
    Boy! can I remember all of those songs and same as you - they all have great meaning to me and remind me exactly where I was and what I was doing. Can't hear most of them without tears in my eyes.
    Hugs Candy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cindy, this is absolutely adorable and so fitting for a male. The music paper, black and brown, the whole works... Beautifully done..
    Hugs, Jean

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, great card! I love the vintage feel to it, and that paper is awesome!
    Hugs, Christine

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW Cindy!!!! It´s great!!! I love the vintage look!!
    Hugs
    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a fabulous card. It definitely has a vintage look and everything works so well!

    ReplyDelete